Students Enjoy New View From Vista

Hermosa Vista School opened on April 13, 2021, giving HBCSD school district a third campus for students. 

After months of construction, Vista school is complete. Despite COVID-19, the school construction was mostly on schedule. 

“It was hard to build the school during [coronavirus],” Superintendent Jason Johnson said. “There was a national concrete lumber and steel shortage.” 

Hermosa Vista School currently serves students in grades K-2 while View undergoes construction. In the future, third and fourth grade students will attend the new campus. (Chase P.)

The school was originally named North School, but its name was changed to Hermosa Vista when it was rebuilt. HVPTO along with the Hermosa Beach Education Foundation suggested the name change to Vista because they wanted to have HVS as the initials for all three schools. Vista joins Hermosa View and Hermosa Valley Schools.

“The desire was to have HVS be the initials for all the schools, and it makes it more synonymous. Vista has a pretty synonymous meaning with view as well and it is the Spanish name for view,” said Johnson.

Students in TK through second grade will attend View; third through fourth will attend Vista; fifth through eighth will continue at Valley. Vista has a capacity of 500 students but right now about 300 currently attend.

“My favorite part of Vista school is our amazing library space with views of the ocean,” Hermosa View Principal Ted Scott said. “It is so nice to spend a few moments upstairs looking over the Hermosa homes and viewing the water sparkling in the sunshine.”