Mr. Kreisberg

Who is this new teacher at Hermosa Valley?

Mr. Kreisberg

Mr. Kreisberg

That new teacher is Spencer Kreisberg. We decided to interview him because we both enjoy baseball, and Mr. Kreisberg plays on the Great Britain national team for baseball.

Mr. Kreisberg has been teaching for four years now with his second at Hermosa Valley.Kreisberg started his teaching career by teaching at Palos Verdes for two years before his Hermosa Valley debut. He decided to become a teacher to pass on knowledge to his students and to promote physical activity in a subject he enjoys. A perk for teaching is the privilege to be an athletics coach. Spencer loves sports and enjoys teaching others about his love. His favorite thing about teaching is improving student skills in different activities that they might not be coached on. Mr. Kreisberg enjoys seeing kids improve their skills. He loves it when he sees a student have a moment and then they “click” and complete the activity or task right away. Mr. Kreisberg’s favorite unit to teach is the stunts/ tumbling unit. He said, “The students really enjoy jumping, rolling, hopping, crawling around to music and performing in front of each other during their create-a-routine.” He also enjoys teaching handball and hockey.

Mr. Kreisberg’s passion isn’t just teaching. He enjoys playing baseball for the Great Britain national team. He has been playing baseball for about 25 years. He felt a very strong connection with baseball since he was four years old. He claimed this quote to be from his early childhood, “My mom had to lie about my age just cause I begged her so much to play.” When he was little he played catcher in little league. He has been playing on the Great Britain national team since 2011 and has been their best pitcher over the past 5 years.

Spencer played his college days at San Francisco State University. He did quote, “We weren’t that good but it was still really fun.” San Francisco State is a division-two school so he didn’t play any of the big teams like Vanderbilt or Duke. Spencer isn’t only a star pitcher, but also excels in right field because of his speed and agility. Some of you must be wondering why he qualifies for the Great Britain national team. He qualifies because Britain’s national baseball rules says that your parent can pass down a passport. Since his father was born in Great Britain he is qualified to play for the team.

During mid September, Mr. Kreisberg played baseball in the World Baseball Classic Qualifiers in Brooklyn, New York. The games were played at MCU Park, one of the Mets minor league fields. During the tournament he posted a 2.25 era and his fastball topped out at 88 mph. He quoted, “ My best pitch is my changeup, but I also have a slider and a curve (curveball).” Throughout the tournament, Great Britain played Pakistan, Brazil, and Israel twice. They made it to the championship game against Israel and the Great Britain chose their ace to fight their most challenging opponent. The Israel national team had many ex-major leaguers on their side. Mr. Kriesberg had a great game going 5 innings with one run charged to him. That run wasn’t his fault though because the run was scored when the reliever was in. Right before he exited the game he let up a base hit. Right when he left the next pitcher gave up a two run bomb. We asked him how he felt after leaving the game and he quoted, “ I felt really good after I left the game knowing I gave my team a chance to win.” He also quoted, “ It was amazing knowing that I pitched a great game against ex pros without giving up a run.”

Mr. Kreisberg was also a multisport athlete, he played football in high school and at a  junior college in the bay area. You can see his highlights if you click the link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHcuLRla6tM .  Thats the link for highlights part one. Here is the link for highlights part two.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIboIuGgUC4. He played football at Los Medanos College in Pittsburg, California. Mr. Kreisberg was the starting quarterback wearing number 6. Mr. Kreisberg threw for two thousand, one hundred and forty-eight yards on one hundred and thirty four completions. Seventeen of those completions were touchdowns. He accomplished those outstanding achievements in only nine regular season games.

If you see the six-foot three giant walking around campus be sure to congratulate him on his amazing accomplishments from the past decade. Since he is only 29 years of age, he still can make more baseball related memories and have more successes.