Learning at a Distance

Due to COVID-19 Hermosa Valley Schools are doing distance learning. Distance learning is a new type of learning formatted because of the deadly virus COVID-19. Students are taught away from school on video calls, where it’s like a regular school day, but at the same time not.

Many schools are using a Block Schedule because schools don’t want students to be on the computer too many hours in a day. Students still have breaks as they would when it were snack or lunch, then they would go to their next period after. However many believe distance learning isn’t as beneficial as normal schooling because there is no face-to-face contact between teachers and students.

According to The Distance Learning College Guide website, “Students in distance learning courses do not get the practice of verbal interaction with professors and other students. Social isolation. Most often you’ll be studying alone.” This is a huge disadvantage of distance learning because many students have many problems or disabilities with learning and they might not get the education they need, not just a portion of students but it can be hard for all students.

Distance learning also doesn’t provide immediate feedback. Most of the time students must email teachers with questions.

“In a traditional classroom setting, a student’s performance can be immediately assessed through questions and informal testing. With distance learning, a student has to wait for feedback until the instructor has reviewed their work and responded to it.” (Distance Learning College Guide) 

Online learning is a much harder responsibility for both students and teachers.

Distance learning for teachers is as much as a struggle as it is for students,” said Mrs. Gonzalez, Hermosa Valley math teacher.”It’s hard to teach on a screen because its hard to connect with students and tell whether they get or don’t get something. Grading students is also a challenge.”

Students face many challenges during distance learning.

“ I would rather go to regular school where I could have a better understanding of what to do, and can see my friends.” Dylan W. Hermosa Valley student said. “ It’s harder to keep track of things when you aren’t told what you need to do. Assignments can be easy to forget and there isn’t much feedback from teachers as there would be in regular school.” 

Although both teachers and students want to return to “normal” school. The current spread of the virus will not allow students back in the classroom yet.

Website Cited:

1. http://www.distance-learning-college-guide.com/advantage-and-disadvantage-of-distance-learning.html