Travel Restrictions Halt Thanksgiving Plans

Families consider how to celebrate a socially distant Thanksgiving.

Photo Courtesy of redbubble.com

We already know that Halloween is canceled, but is Thanksgiving too?

Most families spend Thanksgiving with family that live out of town, but now that there is a global pandemic, it is harder to have gatherings or get from one place to another needing transportation. Thanksgiving is one of the busiest travel holidays of the year, but 2020 may be different.

Everyone around the world has had to socially distance for over eight months, limiting travel and visiting with large groups.While in quarantine, many families, friends, classes, jobs, and more have been using a site called Zoom to video call one another. Some families may celebrate Thanksgiving with their families through their electronic screens.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention states, “Thanksgiving is a time when many families travel long distances to celebrate together. Travel increases the chance of getting and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others.” Thanksgiving activities that have a lower risk of spreading disease are having a small dinner with the family in the household, virtually have dinner, have an outdoor dinner, and watch parades or sporting events from home.

Most Hermosa Valley School students do not have big plans for the holiday.

“I don’t think I am going to leave my home or see any family out of my house. I will be wearing a mask, social distancing, and staying safe. And of course I’m going to be cooking I’m the chef of the house,” said Maya R., Hermosa Valley student.

Some students are still able to manage traveling during the pandemic for the holidays.

“I will be traveling to Connecticut, and will be social distancing with a mask on through the airport. I am going to visit my aunt, uncle, and cousins. We usually spend the holiday with my grandparents, but there are too many people going, so they won’t be having dinner with us. We will see them a few days later,” said Finn G., Manhattan Beach Middle School student.

However the holiday is spent, being safe is just as important as giving thanks at the table his year.