Hermosa Celebrates Halloween at a Distance

Photo Courtesy of Kai S.

Hermosa Valley student Kai S. trick or treats at one of the winners of the Hermosa Friends Foundation Halloween house decorating contest.

This year Halloween in Hermosa was unique from how it normally is due to COVID-19. The city of Hermosa Beach sponsored many virtual and socially distanced activities.

For the Pumpkin Carving Contest, the community was invited to submit pictures of their best pumpkin carvings. In the spirit of the eerie season, the Hermosa Beach Museum hosted a Creepy Story series over zoom. In addition, the city posted  kooky Halloween inspired signs on the Greenbelt near the intersection of Valley Drive and Pier Avenue to encourage those to walk and to get into the Halloween spirit!

Photo of House: winner of the Halloween house decorating contest
Hermosa Valley student Kai S. trick or treats at one of the winners of the Hermosa Friends Foundation Halloween house decorating contest. (Photo Courtesy of Kai S.)

Some students at Hermosa Valley School also participated in their own small Halloween get-togethers. 

[We had] a pumpkin decorating contest,” said Kayla S., Hermosa Valley student. “Everyone either carved or decorated a pumpkin. About fifty people voted. We didn’t really plan it, we just sent an email to all the guests saying to decorate or carve a pumpkin to enter in a contest. Everyone got a participation prize.”

Pumpkin Decorating Contest
Hermosa Valley students held a pumpkin decorating contest instead of trick or treating this year. (Photo courtesy of Riley J.)

The first place price was a light up board to put messages in. The second place prize was a lava lamp. The third place prize was a bunch of Hi Chew candies,” Kayla S. said.

No matter what activity Hermosa Beach residents chose, many found a fun and safe way to celebrate Halloween.