• May 17Next week State Testing Tuesday 5/21, Wednesday 5/22, Thursday 5/23

• May 1721 School Days Left in the Trimester!

• May 17Memorial Day, Monday the 27th

Filed under Cars, Showcase

Are Electric Cars Really Good For The Environment?

You’ve heard about how the Tesla is the answer for air pollution and oil shortages. It will be great for the environment, but will it? With the new craze of electric cars that has been covering the Earth, the demand for them has heightened. This means that factories will have to produce more and more factories, and  they’ll have to make gas powered cars, while having to work harder. The industry of electric cars will one day rule the market but for now there are still a lot of problems with these cars.

The electric car idea can help the Earth by not letting out emissions into the air, or the drill plants for fossil fuels, but there are other ways that allow these cars to hurt our planet. Electric cars obviously take electricity to power, but where does that come from? Most of the time it does come from natural sources, but it can also come from fossil fuels, oil and power plants which hurt the earth as well. The Tesla Model S, for example, is filled with many ores, and other things that can be found in normal cars. However, this specific car, and other Teslas, have rare earth materials which are being dug deeper for. These materials could be used for more important things than the new stereo system in your car. Plastics in this same model are made out of petrochemicals which is a petroleum based product from the vast number of these plants that create fuel for gas powered cars. The battery pack on car, such as the Tesla have a lithium-ion battery pack, the materials in the battery pack holds such medals as nickel, which is a metal that releases toxins into the airflow and the earth. There is a very short supply of these metals. These are metals are already being overused in other products. Africa where they are mined people and children are being exploited and warlords are running the business, so we are indirectly funding criminals. To learn more about this, click the link.

If we were to convert all of our car manufacturing companies from gas powered to electric, there would be a huge crash in automobile sales. Even if we were to do one factory at a time, there would be a big halt in the manufacturing of cars. The creation of new factories would also hurt the environment by mining for new resources, which already hurts the environment enough, and destroying the old factories to use the materials from that one causes debris and some of those thing may not even be used.

The battery of a Tesla is on the bottom of the car, so if you were to scratch the bottom of the car by accident, the car would stop working. This same problem is able to happen on cars such as the new Audi E-Tron or the Chevy Bolt. If the battery were cut, it would leak chemicals onto the road. It is smarter to have the battery in the front or even in the back of the car, because a car might still be able to operate even after a head on crash. The safety levels of the battery aren’t that good either, as said earlier if the lithium-ion batteries could get damaged easily and leak chemicals, the chemicals that leak could cause the car to burst up in flames and possibly burn the people inside. If your lithium-ion battery so happens to get damaged and you want a replacement, it costs about a couple hundred dollars, which is cheaper than buying a new car. However, of course, there is no safe way to dispose of this battery.

Electric cars are forever changing, and maybe one day they will be safer and less toxic. Who knows, maybe we will have a solar powered car soon that is cheap and environmentally friendly in more ways than the ones we have now! If you really want to help the environment get a used car because it requires no energy to build when you buy it, and you might find an older car that you like.

1 Comment

One Response to “Are Electric Cars Really Good For The Environment?”

1. jake from statefarm on April 25th, 2019 9:21 am

you did a great job doing your research but i still believe electric is better for the environment than a gas car

• Are Electric Cars Really Good For The Environment?

The Real Truth Behind Childhood Enterainment

Animals

Most Dangerous Animals

Clothing

The History of Brandy Melville

Top 3 Dangerous Six Flags Roller Coaster Rides

What is Palm Oil?

Food

What Foods to Eat When Going to Greece!

Odd Inventions You Won’t Believe Exist

Gaming

What is Roblox?

Origins of Female Rappers

Food

The Best Ice Cream In Los Angeles