• May 17Next week State Testing Tuesday 5/21, Wednesday 5/22, Thursday 5/23

• May 1721 School Days Left in the Trimester!

• May 17Memorial Day, Monday the 27th

Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Top 3 Dangerous Six Flags Roller Coaster Rides

You might think that roller coasters are fun and safe, but today you will hear about the dangers of maybe one of your favorite roller coaster rides. Batman, Superman, and Goliath are some of the most popular and fun rides everybody loves. At the moment the ride is amazing while you are soaring through the air having a great time, but would you ever think about the danger of the ride you are about to go one or just went on. In this article you will read about the dangers and incidents of the rides Batman, Superman, and Goliath.

Six Flags is the home of the greatest roller coasters in the world such as Batman a crazy coaster with loops and corkscrews. Batman may seem like an awesome, thrilling coaster, but there have been many injuries and tragedies that have happened from the ride. There are some things you should know about this crazy coaster. According to Six Flags  the ride goes at a whopping 55 miles an hour with a start of a 10 story climb. Then comes to a 360 degree G force loop and 2 corkscrews. Finally, there is a 180 degree swoop and a zero gravity spin. Imagine getting hit by all that force. Well, one afternoon according to Fox News a boy walked into the restricted area while the coaster was still going. The boy got struck by the ride, got decapitated and immediately died. In honor of the boy and his family Six Flags closed the ride for the rest of the day. We will finish off with a mild story. There was a time when the ride was active and it stopped in the middle while it was going on. The riders were stuck on the ride for 45 minutes until the ride started again. So next time you go on Batman be careful and look where you walk.

Other than Batman, Superman has had terrible accidents that have killed people or have hurt them very badly. Superman goes 73 miles per hour at top speed and it is 20.5 stories high. It is 205 feet tall, it has a drop of 200 feet and it the ride is 2 minutes and 30 seconds long. Now let’s get into how many deaths there have been on the road which is a total of two deaths that we are going to be talking about today. This first accident that happened in Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom and it involves a teenage girl who lost her legs. One foot had to be amputated while the other one had to be stitched back on and this was caused when the ride Superman: Tower of Power had a cable break causing it to wrap around her legs severing her feet. The last accident that happened was a man who got thrown from the ride on the last turn of Superman: Ride of Steel, hitting his head on the rail and falling a few feet to the ground. He was later pronounced dead at the hospital after he was rushed there by the paramedics. These accidents happen because of unsafe rides which have led to people getting hurt or even worse killed.

If you think that those other roller coasters could be scary, you should go to The wooden Goliath coaster at Six Flags Great America in Illinois. It was won three world records for being the fastest, tallest, and steepest dropping wooden roller coaster in the world. According to  the thrillist people say that it is the “”smoothest ride of any coaster I have been on”. This is very surprising noting that the ride is still a wooden ride which are supposed to be very bumpy and not at all smooth. With the rides UPS there are some DOWNS. On June 2, 2001, a 28-year-old woman died from brain damage while riding Goliath, but the ride continued to stay open even after the incident. Another thing that happened was, according to business insider was on “On April 4, 2015, one of Goliath’s trains got stuck on the lift hill during a test run due to a chain malfunction which needed an entire chain replacement. The train was eventually brought down and the ride remained closed until the lift hill was fixed. However,  Giovanola, the company that designed Goliath, went bankrupt, so the chain had to be ordered from a different company. The ride eventually reopened on July 18, 2015.

After reading this we hope that you have learned more about what can happen on some of your favorite rides. Although it may seen scary these rides are way more safe than you would think. In conclusion life is never the safest so just remember even when it seems like its 100% safe it never is.

https://www.sixflags.com/overgeorgia/attractions/batman-the-ride

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/attractions/batman-ride    https://www.foxnews.com/story/teen-decapitated-by-batman-ride-at-georgia-six-flags

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/goliath-roller-coaster-world-s-biggest-wooden-ride-opens-at-six-flags