• February 13Trimester 2 Ends on March 22

• February 6Flag Ceremony Next Friday

• February 1No School for President's Week 2/18-2/22

Baking for Beginners

All you need to know about baking, for beginners!

Baking! Most people love to bite into a delicious cupcake or a warm, gooey, chocolate chip cookie, but when you try to make one yourself it can turn into complete chaos. In this article you can find some quick and easy tips that will hopefully help you along the way.  You can also find some easy basic recipes. Buttercream frosting is a simple recipe to follow which is recommended for beginners. Sugar cookies are an easy to make, but are also a delicious dessert. Once you’ve learned some of the basic rules and regulations of baking, try baking something a little more complex like a truffle!  

When first you first start baking, it is okay if you make some mistakes, so here are some tips to assist you in the kitchen. When baking a cake, and find yourself without grease or baking spray, you can easily substitute it for parchment paper or butter with a light dusting of flour. No need to run to the store to get cooking spray. Before baking a cake test it by filling a small microwave safe mug halfway with your cake batter and microwave it for one minute or until fully done.  This way you can ensure it tastes great. It seems everyone craves the perfect airy yet crumbly texture of cake. To achieve this so greatly sought after texture, try adding eggs one by one instead of all together. This with result in the fluffy cakes people love. Some inexperienced bakers may want to immediately frost a cake right after it comes out of the oven but, a few problems may arise. The icing and frosting will melt if you don’t wait for the cake to cool, so here are a few steps you can follow in order to solve this problem.  Instead of making frosting right after your cake batter, wait until the cake(s) is/are almost done so you can compose the frosting while the cake is cooling. When your cakes are cooled use an offset spatula or a just a butter knife to scoop a glob of frosting onto the face of the cupcake and then spread it over the top and sides of the cupcake. As a beginner you many not have the fancy piping bags with tips for icing, so as an alternative would be to use a plastic bag and snip a small hole  in the corner for a suitable makeshift piping bag.  If you tend to be a neat-freak while baking, use a cookie cutter as sprinkle stencils for crisp, sharp shapes.  If you ever find yourself missing one key ingredient like brown sugar, whip up your own with some molasses and pure cane sugar!

Let’s talk about frosting, it’s not that hard! Many common desserts such as cakes and cookies, require a very well-known accessory, buttercream frosting!  Although this add-on is very common, many still do not know how to make this delectable dessert accessory. To frost about twenty-four cupcakes, you will need:

• 4 cups of powdered sugar
  • 1 cup of butter (softened)
  • 2-3 teaspoons of vanilla (for added flavour)
  • 1-2 tablespoons of milk

After gathering your materials, cream  the butter and sugar. Then, add vanilla and milk, add milk as as needed. Then you should have a perfect buttercream.

Image result for sugar cookies

The sugar cookie: a classic yet refined sweet treat that can be appropriate for any occasion. To recreate from 18 to 24 cookies, you will need the following ingredients:

• 2 ¾ cups of all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1 cup of butter, softened
  • 1 ½ cup of sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • Optionally, powder sugar (for rolling out dough)

Once you’ve accumulated your ingredients, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).  Then, stir the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in a compact bowl. Next, cream your butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs until you achieve a fluid and velvety consistency.  Progressively add you dry ingredients and stir until you achieve the desired texture. Roll your dough into small spheres and arrange them onto a cookie tray. Bake around 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.  Once the cookies have baked, set them out to cool and enjoy!

Once you have some experience under your belt, try making something a little more unique like a truffle!  For this recipe, you will need:

• 2 cups of chocolate (any type)
  • 2 cups of heavy cream
  • Toppings (cocoa powder, nut, etc.)

First, melt your chocolate and combine it with the heavy cream using a saucepan.  Secondly, pour your melted mixture into any practical container. Freeze or refrigerate until your concoction has slightly hardened but has the consistency of clay.  Next, roll into balls of any size. To add toppings, try dusting on cocoa powder or melting a little left-over chocolate for toppings to stick. Once you’ve finished, enjoy your very own truffles!

Sources:

Tips and Helpful advice

https://addapinch.com/classic-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-recipe/

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9870/easy-sugar-cookies/

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017660-chocolate-truffles

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicaprobus/life-changing-baking-hacks-everyone-needs-to-know

Katherine, Writer

My name is Katherine Sootkoos. I am in 7th grade in Hermosa Valley. I love dogs and swimming. My best stroke is butterfly. I have a dog named Koa. He is...