• May 17Next week State Testing Tuesday 5/21, Wednesday 5/22, Thursday 5/23

• May 1721 School Days Left in the Trimester!

• May 17Memorial Day, Monday the 27th

Filed under Feature, Opinions, Showcase

Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

Dress code… kids hate it; adults love it, but what even is it? And, most importantly, why does it affect girls more than boys? Many girls have to face the challenge of making sure they’re following their dress code. When you get ‘dress coded’, you have to call a parent for a change of clothes. If your parents are at work, you are forced to wear your unflattering P.E. uniform

Hermosa Valley and many other middle schools, high school,  and even some elementary schools have been having some controversy on what the dress code should be. Children and some parents believe that schools are being unfair on what clothing you are and are not allowed to wear. For example, on just the third day of school, fourteen girls in seventh grade alone got dress coded. Many of them had a parent to drop off clothes for them. A few unlucky girls had to wear their gym shorts and shirts. Many believe that if your parents let you leave the house in what they think is “school appropriate” then the school should not tell you otherwise. However, schools argue that the way a student dresses can leave a negative impact on their image, and it is their responsibility to ensure that doesn’t happen. Without going on any further, this is what the school dress code is:

• All students must wear foot wear at all times. In grades 4 and 5, students may not wear flip flops, backless shoes or sandals
  • Hats, caps and hoodies may be worn outside during recess and lunch. Students must remove these items when they are inside,  receiving classroom instructions or participating in activities where sun protection is not warranted.
  • Clothing (including hats, accessories, jewelry, makeup, body ornamentation) with logos, words, or symbols that promote alcohol, drugs, gangs, violence, bigotry, tobacco, or have sexual connotations is not permitted on campus.
  • The midsection and underclothing must remain covered, and tops must have at least one-inch wide straps.
  • Wearing apparel or personal appearance (including make-up, cologne, ect.) which disrupts the classroom is prohibited.
  • Shorts and skirts must be mid-thigh in length.
  • Spikes, metal studs and large chains on any article of clothing are NOT allowed. This includes bracelets and belts.
  • Oversized and undersized clothing that inhibits a students movement, is a safety hazard, or considered vulgar, may not be worn.

Even though it may seem like the dress code is new, it is actually just now being enforced. Most girls think schools are being unreasonable on how short girls’ shorts should be and how thick your straps on your shirt should be. A lot of parents were not aware of the change in enforcing the dress code. However, it has been discovered that the dress code has been in place since 1980.

Dress Codes In Other Schools

It might seem like we have it bad here at Hermosa, but actually some schools are worse. One example of when a dress code went too far was when one girl from a school in South Carolina could not wear her leggings because they enforced a rule that said that you can only wear them if you are either a size 0 or 2. This upsets both students and parents. This is just one example of when schools don’t think about different body types and starts to hurt the student’s self esteem. Our school dress code rules aren’t as strict, but, we wish we could express ourselves more with our clothing then we are able to now.

Another example of when dress code went too far was when a seventh-grader at Benjamin Stoddert Middle School was told to put duct tape over her ripped jeans because it was against her school’s dress code. The young girl said that the duct tape was burning her skin and she said it hurt to take it off. Yet another example was when a young girl was told that her shorts were too short, so out of anger, she demanded that the administration buy her clothes that will meet the strict dress code. Later on, the school admitted it was very hard to find clothes that matched there dress code when they tried.

Girls should be able to feel confident when it comes to what they wear. When the teachers ‘dress code’ young children, they are forced to change into something that they are not comfortable or confident in.

We are not saying that dress codes are completely bad but there are some good reasons. Dress codes are necessary to preserve a positive image of the school, but, they should not come to such extreme terms. Schools like dress codes because they want to be sure that no one is bringing in dangerous things that could potentially be harmful.

Girl dress coded for show shoulders

When School Dress Codes Discriminate

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?”

1. Grayson on September 20th, 2018 7:09 am

I, for one, think that our dress code would seem less harsh if they had started enforcing it earlier, like in elementary. Then we would all be fine with the dress code, because we would be used to it.

2. Payton on September 20th, 2018 2:23 pm

I do think the dress code is strict, especially the “No loose or baggy clothing” and the fact is, our PE uniforms are 10 sizes too big! Maybe the dress code could be redone, more specific. and less overall crazy.

3. Skyler Zimmermann on September 20th, 2018 2:25 pm

I never thought that the dress code was strict at all.

4. Bella D on September 21st, 2018 12:08 pm

I really liked this article! It was very intriguing, but I think it could have used more points about when our school was right about the dress code.

• Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

The Real Truth Behind Childhood Enterainment

• Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

Animals

Most Dangerous Animals

• Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

Clothing

The History of Brandy Melville

• Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

Top 3 Dangerous Six Flags Roller Coaster Rides

• Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

Cars

Are Electric Cars Really Good For The Environment?

• Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

What is Palm Oil?

• Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

Food

What Foods to Eat When Going to Greece!

• Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

Odd Inventions You Won’t Believe Exist

• Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

Gaming

What is Roblox?

• Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?

Origins of Female Rappers

Just How Strict Is Our Dress Code?