• June 20Last Day of School 6/21 Early Out 12:30

The Queen B

You can never go wrong listening to Beyonce. She is the top artist of the 2000’s. She has so many amazing qualities like her gorgeous voice, her amazing style, her cool dance moves, and her passion for her career. We all think we know who she is, a famous singer. Beyonce is so much more than that. You may wonder: What was her childhood like? How did she get her singing career? Where does her nickname come from? What are people’s opinions on her? What does she do now? They all have very interesting answers.

Beyonce Knowles was born September 4th, 1981 in Houston, Texas. She has a younger sister, Solange, who was a backup singer and dancer for Destiny’s Child. Her parents’ were Tina and Mathew Knowles. Beyonce won her first talent show at the age of seven singing “Imagine” by John Lennon. At one of her schools, St. Mary’s Montessori School, Beyonce took some dance classes. Her beautiful singing voice was later found while her dance instructor, Johnson-Bailey, was humming a song and Beyonce started singing along, hitting all the notes perfectly. Johnson-Bailey stated, “She was sitting on the floor — she had on a pink top and pink shorts and her pink tights — and I told her, ‘You are gonna be a world star. You are gonna be so big, the whole world is gonna know you,’” She stated, “And she just looked up at me and grinned, and said, ‘I am?’ And I said, ‘Yes you are.’ It’s crazy to think that’s how she found her talent.

It may not seem like it, but her childhood wasn’t all fun and singing though. Beyonce’s father managed the group and her mother made the costumes. Her father resigned from his job to focus on being the manager of the group. They lost a lot of money and her parents couldn’t financially support their family. So her parents, Mathew and Tina, were forced to live separately and go their own ways. Then, Beyonce started her real singing job.

Beyonce is mainly known for her singing career, but how did she get this job? Beyonce starting singing when she was very young. Beyonce was the lead singer in the group Destiny’s Child, and in the group was Beyonce Knowles, Kelly Rowland, LeToya Luckett, and LaTavia Roberson. Originally, the group was called Girls Tyme and they were first known for their appearance on the show Star Search in 1993.

They got their first contract with Colombia, a American record label owned by Sony, for their first hit song, “No, No, No Pt. 2” thanks to Mathew and Tina Knowles. The song dominated the charts of American pop and sold millions of copies. Beyonce was really worried though, she stated, “I just hope people don’t get sick of us. I’m sick of us and I’m in Destiny’s Child.”

Although she is famous for her singing, Beyonce did lots of acting in movies like Lion King, Pink Panther, Epic, and Dream Girls during the 2000’s. During that time, Destiny’s Child continued to make more amazing songs including “Lose My Breath”, “Say My Name”, and “Independent Woman”. Eventually, Beyonce left the group in 2003 and continued as a solo artist.

If you don’t know her as Beyonce, then maybe you know her as the Queen Bey or Sasha Fierce, her two famous nicknames. But how did she get these nicknames? The Queen Bey is pretty simple, it’s Queen because many people consider her as a queen and Bey because it’s half of her name and its easier to say than her full name. Sasha Fierce is more interesting than the Queen Bey. Beyonce says that Sasha Fierce is an alter ego she has on stage. Beyonce’s third album was named, “I Am Sasha Fierce.” Most of the songs in that album were more up-beat and pop styles. Some of the songs in “I Am Sasha Fierce” were “Single Ladies”, “Ego”, and “Sweet Dreams.” This was one of Beyonce’s most popular albums.

Many people have different opinions on Beyonce. Some don’t like her songs, but like her feminism and empowerment. Some people love her songs, but don’t like some of the choices she has made like leaving Destiny’s Child. On one of Beyonce’s tours, a reviewer stated, “An exuberant sparring session of jubilant horns and percussive vocals, overlaid with singing that’s somehow both acrobatic and sauntering.” When Beyonce performed at the music festival, Coachella, it was said to be her best performance. She performed many old songs with Destiny’s Child including “Lose My Breath” and “Say My Name.” She also performed with her husband, Jay-Z, “Deja Vu.” A reviewer at Coachella stated, “With guest spots from husband Jay Z, sister Solange and a reunited Destiny’s Child, this was a show about more than just music – it was about female power and self-belief.” People really admire Beyonce for her feminism and self-confidence. People see Beyonce as more than just a singer, they see her as a role model.

Now, Beyonce is a solo artist at the age of 36 and is known as the top artist of the 2000s. Beyonce and Shawn have been married for 10 years. Shawn Carter, famously known as Jay-Z, is a famous rapper and businessman. In 2012 Beyonce had her first child, Blue Ivy Carter. In 2017 Beyonce had twins! The boy named Sir and the girl named Rumi. She is currently taking time with her family, but she’s still loving music and going on tour.

Beyonce wrote 176 songs during her solo career including the famous, “Love on Top”, “Countdown”, “Upgrade U”, and “Run The World”. Beyonce is still super popular around the world and is an idol to many 2000’s pop lovers. I became interested in Beyonce when I first listened to “Single Ladies” at the age of 8. Ever since then, I have been obsessed with her gorgeous music and fabulous style. In my opinion, she is one of the best and most inspiring artists. I mean, who doesn’t love the Queen B?

Sources Cited:

https://www.vox.com/cards/beyonce-career-explained/beyonce-fame-explained

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyonc%C3%A9#Early_life

https://moneyish.com/heart/beyonces-childhood-dance-teacher-tells-moneyish-about-that-epic-coachella-performance/

https://quotefancy.com/quote/1277782/Beyonc-Knowles-I-just-hope-people-don-t-get-sick-of-us-I-m-sick-of-us-and-I-m-in-Destiny

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/apr/15/beyonce-at-coachella-review-greatest-star-of-her-generation-writes-herself-into-history

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/29/arts/music/beyonce-formation-world-tour-lemonade.html

https://www.vox.com/cards/beyonce-career-explained/who-is-sasha-fierce-beyonce