• May 4Honor Roll Breakfast May 31 (7:30 a.m.)

Filed under Showcase, Sports

The NFL Draft for Beginners

Have you ever dreamed about growing up to be a professional football player? Well, football has the most watched and liked draft. For football, it is one of the most important times to draft young talent. The whole point of the draft is to pick young players out of college players to replace the older players who had retired or will retire soon. This helps a team by filling player slots that are weak. The draft also helps teams find leaders or underrated players that help their team significantly. The NFL draft is also now because it is the off season for football so the that the group of players that were picked can prepare for the season with the team they were picked to.

Why is the draft such a big deal? Well it is so important because first of all how would new players come into the league. Second NFL is popular widely around the US, so they have to promote these players some how. The NFL draft can deeply affect the future of a football team. Football also has a widely watched tryout called the Combine where coaches come to see the players abilities up close. Lots of pressure is piled upon the players to perform well and on the coach’s to make the right decision. Every year the Combine, (which is a tryout for all of the best players coming out of college) is held at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana. The Colts play at Lucas Oil stadium if you didn’t know. The Colts are a Professional football team for the NFL.

As you know, the draft is coming soon and choices will have to be made. Will a team choose an offensive player or a defensive player? There are many factors that go in to picking a player. Such as, are they the right fit for the team, can he be productive for us, or is he a necessary pick. Many thoughts go through a coach’s head when it is time to pick.

In the NFL draft there are seven rounds with 256 picks including the extra/additional picks, which is the eight round. Also a team’s placement in the draft depends on how well the team did the year before in the season. Another thing that can decide the placement of the draft is a team could trade for a pick. So the team with the worst record will have the first pick and the team that won the Super Bowl will pick last. Each draft pick also has a time limit. In the first round each team gets ten minutes to pick; in the second round each team gets seven minutes. Then in the third through sixth rounds each team gets five minutes, and in the seventh round each team gets four minutes. After the seventh round is all picks in the eighth round is determined on free agency loss.  One thing I feel that some teams do midway through the season, is that if they know their not going to make the playoffs, they lose on purpose to try and get a good draft position, which is so wrong.

Then are you wondering who even picks for the team? Well the GM also known as the general manager is who controls all of the players transactions bearing the teams behalf. If you thought the head coach was in charge of the transactions, you were wrong. In the draft the GM makes the decision with assistants and the help of the team. So even though the GM makes the decision, he doesn’t make it alone.

In the draft things can go really well or really bad. For example if your top picks in the first, second, and third round don’t perform. For example; a guy by the name of Matt Leinart was an amazing quarterback for the USC Trojans was drafted tenth overall by the Arizona Cardinals. He had a slow and sad career. Matt Leinart did not come through for the Cardinals as they had hoped. Then on the other hand Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round and the 199th pick. There were six other quarterbacks chosen before he was. Tom Brady is known as one of the biggest snags in the draft. Just think of that. Some sixth rounders never see the field in a regular season game.

If you still don’t understand the NFL draft that is okay. The NFL draft is very complicated because so many factors go into it. If it wasn’t complicated everyone would know what it was so it be easy to like. Though if you had to take one thing away from the draft it would be that the best football players in college is what makes up the draft. I hope you found that interesting.