• June 20Last Day of School 6/21 Early Out 12:30

Who is Bob Ross?

If you are anything like me, you may have been wondering who Bob Ross is. I first saw him in some memes on my Instagram explore page. A couple months later, I saw him as a parody in the teaser for Deadpool 2. This prompted me to watch some of his YouTube videos. He has had many other appearances and cameos as parodies or references in things like YouTube videos and movie trailers. When I started to look into it more, I found he is a painter who hosted a really cool TV show on how to paint beautiful landscapes. Most episodes of his show have been put on YouTube. Although the main purpose of his show was to teach how to paint, many people watch it to calm down or to be inspired. He has an incredibly calming voice and a really calming personality.

Robert Norman Ross was born on October 29, 1942 in Daytona Beach, Florida and sadly passed away from lymphoma at the very young age 52 on July 4, 1995. His show, The Joy of Painting ran for 31 seasons from 1983 to 1994. His show is basically him teaching how to paint in different ways, and how to paint certain things. His show really caught traction because of his personality and his easy “how-to” style.His videos have a beautiful gentle energy to them, which is really cool. I was watching an episode researching for this article called, “The Evening Waterfall.” It is a cool episode where he makes a stream with a waterfall. He makes these little movements with his paint brush and other tools that turn into extremely detailed rocks, streams, or trees. His style of careless perfection is really interesting, and seeing everything in the painting come together is honestly amazing.

He has also built a huge legacy behind him. He has appeared (as references and parodies) in many different movies, videos, and TV shows. He has been name dropped in many different shows and songs. He has also appeared as a parody in TV shows like Regular Show. He has also appeared in many different YouTube shows like Epic Rap Battles of History. For some reason, he has also become a meme in a sort of way. He is a meme, I think, because of his really calming voice, and how his show is comforting in a way. He was one of those figures on TV that taught in a way like Bill Nye, or Mr. Robinson. He was a huge part of many people’s lives, and his show taught viewers to always be positive and that there are no mistakes, only, “happy little accidents.”  

He also served in the military for 20 years, reaching the rank of Master Sergeant, a very honored rank in the military. After working in the military, he went on to to the passion that had grown throughout his years of service, painting. He started making more money then he was in the military, so he retired and created the show he is most known for today. His show slowly gained more and more popularity. He then created his business, Bob Ross inc. The company became very popular and eventually became a $15 million dollar company. His company sold different, “how-to,” books and art supplies. His paintings are all over his channel. I would totally recommend checking them out, and from Bob Ross, “Happy painting and god-bless.”

Main Sources:

Wikipedia, various YouTube