• April 16Flag Ceremony on Friday!!

• April 1243 School Days Left in the Trimester!

Filed under Sports

What Happened to Kaepernick?

What Happened to Kaepernick?

On August 20, 2016, it was a day like any other, until it wasn’t. On this day, Colin Kaepernick, the 49er’s star quarterback, surprised the NFL, and the 16 million viewers. Colin Kaepernick decided to take a knee during the National Anthem just before the game started. Later that week, he explained why he had decided to sit during the National Anthem. Kaepernick said, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.” From August 20 to October 17th, 26 different NFL teams decided to take a stand. All of those teams kneeled or at least linked arms during the National Anthem.

In a recent study, 33% of NFL fans decided to boycott the NFL. The main question was, “Did you purposely stop watching the NFL for a reason?” The largest number who answered yes said that they boycotted the NFL because they were angry about the national anthem protests by quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

All of a sudden, it seemed as if Kaepernick had fallen off the face of the Earth. On January 5th, 2017, when the NFL said Kaepernick was a “distraction”, he seriously took that into consideration. On February 3rd Colin Kaepernick opted out of his contract with the 49ers. This marked the end of his career with the 49ers. Since then, there has not been much news of Colin Kaepernick coming back to the NFL.

There may be one last opportunity for Colin Kaepernick to play again. Ever since the Texans star quarterback, Deshaun Watson, got hurt, the Texans have been looking for another great quarterback to join their team. Colin Kaepernick has been looked at by their scouts.The head coach of the Texans released this statement, “Colin Kaepernick is a good football player. Hasn’t played in a while, but these things are discussed daily, and they’ll continue to be discussed.” This means that Texans definitely are looking into hiring him.

But, did anything really change? After the protests NFL players said they were skeptical, and didn’t know if the NFL cared or just wanted them to football and be quiet. The NFL and its teams were silent until Trump called the players involved with the protests “violent language” and said that they should be fired. This sparked more controversy with the NFL. NFL players came out with things saying that our leader is unfit to be a president, and should never have been elected in the first place. Now Colin Kaepernick is living a quiet life without football in it.