• November 27Happy New Years!! (Dec 31st-Jan 1st)

• November 27Minimum days!! (Dec 21st- Jan 6th)

• November 27End of Trimester (Dec 6th)

Filed under Arts and Culture

The Pony Picasso

The Pony Picasso

Vivian Albelda

When you think of a horse painter, what do you imagine? An artist that paint pictures of horses? Well, Metro Meteor is the exact opposite. Metro is a horse that creates his very own works of art.

This incredibly artistic horse wasn’t always painting masterpieces in his stables, as he used to be a racehorse. Metro, a thoroughbred horse, was born in 2003. He became a racehorse and competed in many different horse races, including sprints on turf, which is a race where horses try to run as fast as they can across a grass track. Metro competed mostly at the tracks Belmont and Saratoga, and was even one of the fastest horses to compete in those locations.

Unfortunately, Metro was born with a knee condition that caused him to have bone chips in his knees. To remove these bone chips, Metro had to get surgery, but his racing would get better after the chips were gone. Eventually, his knees gave in and the track veterinarian would no longer allow Metro to race anymore. This was not good, as sometimes thoroughbreds that can no longer race end up as horse meat.

Luckily for Metro, artist Ron Krajewski and his wife Wendy adopted him. They soon found out that Metro’s knees were so bad that he couldn’t even walk along horse trails. Even worse, a vet told the Krajewskis Metro’s condition was terminal, and he only had about two years left. While this is very sad, Metro’s story does not end here.

The Krajewskis were crestfallen about their horse, and searched for something for Metro to do to fill his days. Finally, it seemed the very horse they wanted to help gave them an answer. While Metro was sitting in his stall, Ron Krajewski noticed that Metro often just bobbed his head up and down, over and over again. Krajewski later said, “It was like, if I could teach him to hold a paintbrush, we could make some paintings together.” And was exactly what Krajewski did.

Krajewski began training Metro how to hold a paintbrush in his mouth, right where the bit used to be, and put a canvas right where the finish line used to be. Every day, Metro’s artistic ability increased, and soon he was making colorful, abstract paintings. Painting became his passion, with Krajewski even saying, “When he doesn’t have a brush in his mouth, he paws at the ground, he bites me. When I’m mixing paint, he’s just like, give me the brush, let me do it.” Although this was fun, Metro’s medical bills were soaring higher and higher. But then, the Krajewskis had the idea to sell some of Metro’s work to pay for some of the bills. They sold some of his paintings at Gallery 30 in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His artwork was a hit, and one month later, Metro’s paintings were being shipped across the world. Half of the profits from his paintings went to his medical bills, and a vet named Dr. Kim Brokaw found a way to reverse the bone growth in Metro’s knees. Metro still struggles with his knees, but now he can walk trails, which he once was not able to do. This other half of the profits go to New Vocations, which is a charity that helps former racehorses find homes just like Metro did before he became an artist and found his hope again.

The story of Metro Meteor is not just a story about a horse who picked up a paintbrush. It is also a story of perseverance and discovering hope. I was cheered up by this amazing story, and I hope that you were inspired as well by Metro Meteor, the pony Picasso.

Bibliography

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/27/247330796/the-horse-who-picked-up-a-paintbrush

https://www.paulickreport.com/tag/metro-meteor/

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/metro-goes-national-equine-artist-to-be-featured-on-today-show/

http://www.paintedbymetro.com/home.html

http://wjla.com/news/local/metro-meteor-makes-unexpected-career-move-to-painting-83891