• June 9Student vs Staff Softball Game 6/14

• June 9Last Day of School 6/21

• June 9Disneyland Trip (8th grade) 6/15

Filed under Arts and Culture

History of Hermosa Beach

You probably do not know that the place you go to the beach, go to school, and carry on day to day activities used to be part of Rancho Sausal Redondo. In the early days, Hermosa Beach was one vast sweep of rolling hills covered with fields of grain. Now, Hermosa Beach is a city with a population of about 20,000, and holds about 9,476 households. The History of Hermosa Beach is quite interesting  from its pier being torn down and a new one being built in its place to the Saint Patrick’s Day parade hosted year after year.  

On January 14, 1907, Hermosa Beach became the nineteenth incorporated city of Los Angeles. Around that time, one of the the largest attractions, the Hermosa Beach pier, was being built. It was not always the same; in 1904, the first pier was constructed entirely out of wood and extended 500 feet into the ocean. It was constructed by the Hermosa Beach Land and Water Company. Later in 1913, the old pier that was constructed in 1904 was par
tly washed away, and later torn down. A new one was built in its place. If you are a local, and you are walking near the beach or on the pier, you most likely recognize the familiar scent of the cool ocean breeze.

Hermosa Beach is bordered by two other cities, Manhattan Beach to the north and Redondo Beach to the south and east. Hermosa Beach is tiny compared to its two other bordering cities as Hermosa Beach only extends 15 blocks from north to south, with the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) running through it. As well a westerly sea breeze lessen, what can be high summertime temperatures in Los Angeles and elsewhere in the country and it helps keep the smog away 360 days of the year.

One of the best places to take a walk, a run, or even a cruise on your bike, is The Strand. The Strand

runs along Hermosa’s beach from Torrance Beach in the south, about 20 miles north to Santa Monica. I use The Strand constantly to get around town because it is a quick way to get around town and it is nice place to look at the ocean. If you are biking along the strand and get a flat tire, go to Hermosa Cyclery located 20 13th Street, Hermosa Beach. Hermosa Cyclery pumps free air 9 A.M. to 7 P.M. seven days of the week.

Hermosa Beach also used to have a siren that rang at 9 p.m. It told the kids of Hermosa Beach to get off the streets, its main purpose was to serve as a type of curfew. Now present day, it is a noon siren that accurately announces to city residents, business people and visitors that noon hours have begun. The siren is located on top of the roof of the Fire Department.

Hermosa Beach has two schools, Hermosa Valley and Hermosa View. Hermosa View is kindergarten through third grade and Hermosa V
alley is fourth through eighth. Nathan, a student of Hermosa Valley, claims that, “They are very educated and are good at their job which is giving knowledge to their students and he thinks they are very safe because we have a well-run school district.”  

We have a great mayor named Peter Tucker, who has been mayor since 2014. Some of his professional occupations are California licensed General Building Contractor, Certified building inspector, and Disaster Response Team. In addition, thanks to the Hermosa Beach Police Department located on 540 Pier Ave our city is a very safe place to be, As Theo a local of Hermosa Beach states, “Since Hermosa Beach is so small, it is hard for a criminal to go unnoticed.” Hermosa Beach, relative to California, has a crime rate that is higher than 78% of the state’s cities and towns of all sizes. These crimes are not life threatening with only minor incidents like burglary, theft, and sometimes fraud. I have lived in Hermosa Beach my whole 13 years of life and never witnessed any crime that is worth reporting.

The reason Hermosa Beach is such a great place to live is it has a nice warm climate that’s around 74 degrees in the summer and 55 degrees in the winter. My opinion on Hermosa’s weather is it is not too hot and not too cold so it has a good balance which is one of the reasons I love living here.  Some other reasons are: the wide flat beach makes Hermosa Beach, one of the most popular places to play beach volleyball, from profesional to amatuer. Another reason our beach is so great, as Riley exclaims, “I like to see the joy the beach gives to people.” Parallel to The Strand, the narrow strip of land is the Hermosa Beach Greenbelt. The Greenbelt used to be a railroad track, but now is a great place to run or walk your dog. Some advantages and great parts of living in a pretty small city is everything is so close to you like the beach, restaurants, fast food, the market, your school, the bank, the park, and a bunch of other places. As Riley, also a citizen of Hermosa Beach, talks about his favorite part about the city, “It is like family because everywhere you go, you see someone you love.” Some fun events that take place in Hermosa Beach is Farmers’ Market which is every Friday from 12 noon to 4 pm, rain or shine. (Valley Drive between 8th and 10th Streets), some more fun events are, Hennessey’s Paddleboard Festival: U.S. Paddleboard Championships. Typically in July. These are two great events you could participate or go attend to either get some great food or watch professionals compete right in front of your eyes.

Some quick fun facts about Hermosa Beach is that our average rainfall each year is about 12.1 inches compared to Chicago’s average rainfall per year which is 35.82 inches. Our pier is 1,228 feet long with fishing all year long. We have 20 parks and 6 churches. We are located 17 miles Southwest of Los
Angeles on Southern end of Santa Monica Bay.

Another great fact about Hermosa Beach is that every year over 100 local businesses, organizations, and school marching bands will take part in the seven block parade down Pier Avenue. The Irish theme of Saint Patrick’s Day is celebrated by the many participants in the festivities including bagpipers, from the Emerald Society, floats,

horses and four legged friends from the Irish Setters Club of Southern California. The parade begins at the staging area near City Hall on Valley Drive, makes a left onto Pier Avenue and ends at the corner of Hermosa Avenue and 10th Street. In what has become a popular tradition in Hermosa Beach, the parade draws about 20,000 spectators and participants who come to enjoy the family affair as well as the great dining, shopping and beautiful beach weather that Hermosa Beach has to offer. I have watched this parade many times and it is a great place to hang with family and friends

Growing up in Hermosa Beach, I was fortunate to experience lots of things others couldn’t. I am able to walk to the beach in 5 minutes. During the summer I get to participate in Junior LifeGuards, which is a program to help you become a better swimmer in the ocean. I have been doing Junior LifeGuards for 4 years including this summer, I love Junior LifeGuards because you get to be at the beach constantly and get to go enjoy the warm summer days with your friends. I also am fortunate enough to live very close to everything I need from my school to restaurants. I really think my school did a great job of teaching me everything I need to know. Their excellent teachers go into depth of what you are learning and help you every step of the way.    

If you are looking to live in Hermosa Beach, it doesn’t come cheap, with a median home price of $1,772,500. The median list price per square foot in Hermosa Beach is $905, which is higher than the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim Metro average of $401 per square foot. Hermosa Beach became such a expensive place to live because more and more wealthy people want to live in Los Angeles. There are only a limited amount of places you can live in Los Angeles, especially if you want to live near the beach, you are going to pay a lot more than you would if you wanted to live in Central California.  

Is Hermosa Beach one of the greatest cities on Earth? It’s great beaches, restaurants, and it’s friendly hospitality makes it a great place to visit or live. From what used to be part of Rancho Sausal Redondo with hills covered with fields of grain, to now being one of the most beautiful cities on Earth.  

Sources: http://www.hermosabch.org/index.aspx?page=706

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermosa_Beach,_California

http://www.electpetertucker.com

http://www.hermosabch.org/index.aspx?page=47

http://www.hbchamber.net/pages/st-patricks-day-parade1