• June 9Student vs Staff Softball Game 6/14

• June 9Last Day of School 6/21

• June 9Disneyland Trip (8th grade) 6/15

Filed under Feature

Kings of the Sky

How exactly do things fly? Well, different things use different methods to fly, but in most ways, all are similar. The largest flying objects are airplanes. Airplanes are extraordinary flying machines that have changed the world in amazing ways. Airplanes have been around for about one hundred years. I became interested in airplanes when I realized how amazing they are. They can weigh thousands and tons and still get into the air because of their engines and wings.  The Wright Brothers had the first idea of flight. They made the first ever flying machine in 1903. They performed many experiments, and then they began to make their experimental airplane into a product people would want to buy. More and more people became curious for flight, and learned the work of the Wright brothers and started to build their own aircraft. The use of the airplane expanded as designers and pilots started to make floatplanes, flying boats, passenger airplanes, and war planes. The success of the planes kept getting stronger, and more and more people wanted to take part in the airplane phenomenon. Then, the major airplane company, Boeing, was founded and they started to make newer and safer planes. Boeing made planes where passengers could enjoy comfort while flying, unlike before when people had to lay down.

The inspiration of flying machines has always been birds. In the beginning, some inventors thought that to fly, everything must flap their wings. Then, new inventors learned that you could get into the air by speed. Engines were used to get aircraft into the air. The first airplane was very light, because it had extremely light wings. The wings had light wooden beams, and strong paper over them, and a not very powerful motor. The idea of racing airplanes came out. The first air races occurred in the early 1900’s, and hundreds of people came to watch. These races made the use of airplanes more popular.

At the time, airplanes did not carry large amounts of people. Some airplanes could barely carry one person. When World War One hit, warplanes started being made and became more popular. These airplanes were some of the first to be made out of steel. These airplanes were very heavy so stronger engines were needed to fly. The idea that a plane can be heavy, it just needed to be balanced with a bigger or stronger engine helped air travel advance. By World War Two, larger airplanes were being made that could carry loads of men. Passenger airplanes were also created to transport large amounts of people.

In the early-mid 1900’s, all airplanes were not very advanced. Most were made out of all metal, and airplanes flew very bumpy. Planes still flew fast, but they produced a lot of smoke, causing air pollution. Their engines were not very advanced at all either. It was hard to fly airplanes. After the 1950’s was when planes started getting more advanced. Airplanes started to have a silencer cabin, and new technology that was coming out was allowing planes to fly smoother. Air travel was quickly advancing. The body of the airplane was getting smoother on the outside, and the wings started to become flat and light. TV’s began being installed in airplanes, and the seats began becoming more comfy. More passengers wanted to fly, making airplanes popular with the public. The Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet was a revolutionary airplane that carried large amounts of people, up to 660. It had four large engines that helped it carry such a heavy load.

This airplane was so revolutionary because of how many people it could carry. International airlines were astonished by the aircraft and quickly wanted to buy it. The most common airplane around is the Boeing 737. This airplane could not carry large amounts of people, or fly internationally, but this airplane was great for carrying a normal amount of people anywhere around the country. This plane was easy to operate and fly, and was an enjoyable airplane for passengers to fly in. One of the newest most modern airplanes is the Airbus 380. This airplane is the largest passenger airplane in the world, carrying up to more than 850 passengers. The Airbus 380 could carry more people than the 747, longer distances. On top of that this was the first airplane to have astonishing fuel-efficiency, and although it is a lot of work for the flight crew to prepare for a flight in the a380, this airplane can fly itself once in the sky. These airplanes have changed the world.

Airplanes are getting more and more futuristic and successful  as time progresses. New planes are getting smoother, such as the 787. This passenger plane is one of the newest planes, and is one of the closest passenger planes you can fly in that is similar to the natural flight of birds. The 787 has many new things other planes don’t. You can dim the light coming through the airplane window by the push of a button. This plane is also very quiet, because the cabin of the plane is very well built. The secret of this plane flying smoothly is that the wings bend, just like birds, so the plane can become more compatible with the wind. The the cabin of the plane can also mimic sunrise and dusk, which is an amazing thing the passengers can experience. An airplane enthusiast and writer says he has experienced many different types of planes. George Hobica shares what he thinks about the 787. “For passengers, the 787 is truly a revolutionary plane.” says George Hobica. He loves the plane for its beautiful interior, smooth ride, and spacious cabin. The 787 is one of the major planes that has revolutionized air travel.

The world has come so far in advancing flight in 100 years. The world has gone from airplanes with extremely light paper wings, to airplanes with thousand-pound wings. Airplanes have also gone from flying a few miles, to thousands of miles. People used to lie down on their stomach, with the only protection against falling are a few straps, to now when people sit or lie down and sleep in sound-proof rooms in the sky. Airplanes have changed this world for the better. They are the kings of the sky that are considered to be one of the most brilliant human inventions ever created.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/columnist/hobica/2016/04/12/boeing-787-dreamliner/82896388/
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/UEET/StudentSite/dynamicsofflight.html

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/howplaneswork.html