• June 20Last Day of School 6/21 Early Out 12:30

Filed under Showcase, Sports

X-Games Over the Years

Do you know how it feels flying through the air on a halfpipe with about 14 million people watching you? Probably not because you most likely have not been a participant in the X-Games. The X-Games is an extreme sports event that is hosted, produced, and broadcasted by ESPN. Participants compete to win bronze, silver, and gold medals, as well as prize money.

There are two X-Games each year, these include the winter and the summer games. The main events in the Winter competition are snowboarding, snowmobiling, and skiing. The main events in the Summer X-Games are skateboarding, bmx, and surfing. Some background about the X-Games is that the inaugural X-Games were held during the 1995 Summer in Newport, Rhode Island.

Some of the reasons people watch the X-Games so much is because, the competition often features new tricks such as Tony Hawk’s 900 in skateboarding, Travis Pastrana’s double backflip in freestyle motocross, Heath Frisby’s first ever snowmobile front flip in Snowmobile Best Trick, and Torstein Horgmo’s first landed triple cork in a snowboard competition. Concurrent with competition is the “X Fest” sports and music festival, which offers live music, athlete autograph sessions, and interactive elements. Some other amazing tricks that have been done at the X-Games include, Max Parrot´s first cap triple cork 1800 in Snowboard Big Air, Iouri Podladtchikov landing the first cab double cork 1440 in Men’s Snowboard Superpipe, and Kelly Clark´s first 1080 by a woman in competition, in Women’s Superpipe.

The veterans of the X-Games have spoken out about their experience. “For me, it was something I grew up on,” said Davis, the two-time defending gold medalist in the superpipe. “I didn’t really grow up on watching racing or anything like that. X Games was my thing to watch during the winter.” Some other experiences, ¨It’s hard to swallow, knowing this is the last time I will be racing in an event like this. Three times in the Olympics, and I have not medaled.¨ said Daron Rahlves. Sure there will be some  upsets when it comes to competition, you lose some you win some.

In the X-Games, would you risk your life flying through the air doing corks and other insane tricks with millions watching? Some participants have gotten seriously injured, while others have done the most insane trick of their life, and gotten famous for it. Would you compete?

Bibliography:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Games

http://www.quotesea.com/quotes/author-category/x-games-athletes