The Grammys

The Grammys

The Grammy’s. As a music artist people dream about getting a Grammy, but very few ever get one. Although for some music artists, that is not the case.  Quincy Jones, Eric Clapton, Beyoncé, and Adele throughout various years have won six Grammy’s! Although winning a Grammy is not everything about the Grammy’s. In the next few paragraphs you will learn everything from best Grammy performances, to how to be nominated and how you win a Grammy, and the Grammy Foundation.  

How do you get nominated for a Grammy?  Entries are made online and a physical copy of the work is sent to NARAS. Once a work is entered, reviewing sessions are held, involving more than 150 experts from the recording industry, to determine whether the work is entered in the correct category. The resulting lists of eligible entries are circulated to voting members, each of whom may vote to nominate in the general fields Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best New Artist and in no more than nine out of 30 other fields on their ballots. Cameron Konis thinks differently. “I think that there should be more major Grammy’s available. With only four major Grammy‘s available people will only remember four people instead of all of the great music in the year. ” The five recordings that earn the most votes in each category become the nominees, while in some categories (craft and specialized categories) there are review committees in place that determine the final 5 nominees. There may be more than five nominees if there is a tie in the nomination process.

After nominees have been determined, final voting ballots are sent to NARAS voting members, who may then vote in the general fields and in no more than nine of the thirty fields. Members are encouraged, but not required, to vote only in their fields of expertise. Ballots are arranged secretly by the major accounting firm Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu. Following the arrangement of votes the winners are announced at the Grammy Awards. The recording with the most votes in a category wins and it is possible to have a tie. Winners are presented with the Grammy Award and those who do not win are given a medal for their nomination. I think that it is good for the people that didn’t win the Grammy’s to get a medal because then they feel at least like they got something instead of walking away empty handed. Cameron Konis agrees with the situation,stating: “I think it is a good way to include everybody in the process and make them feel included in the Grammy’s. Logan Rice agrees with Cameron and I. Saying “I think it is great that all participants get something in recognition of their hard work.”

Many people win Grammy’s. But only few of them have memorable performances. Performances from Adele and Michael Jackson come to mind, but there have been other great performances. Some performances have even been rap. Kendrick Lamar performed two songs just last year in 2016. But there have been other rap performances. Including  Jay-Z, Kanye West, TI, Lil Wayne, and M.I.A all performed a song together in 2009. Although rap has been rising in the Grammy’s that has not always been the case. In 1988 Michael Jackson ruled the music business with his pop music. His songs that he performed at the Grammy’s were “The Way You Make Me Feel” and “Man in the Mirror”. Nathan Derhake’s favorite performance was performed by Eminem and Elton John. The song was called “Stan”. Nathan Derhake’s thoughts about the performance were ” Since rap and pop are some of my favorite types of music I thought it was cool that two good pop and rap artists teamed up.”

Everybody knows about the Grammy’s on some level. But what most people don’t know is that the Grammy Awards have a foundation. The mission is simple: to enhance the understanding and appreciation of American music recordings. The mission is accomplished  through programs and activities that engage public people with music artists. The Foundation works in partnership year-round with The Recording Academy to bring national attention to important issues such as the value and impact of music and arts education and the urgency of preserving our rich cultural heritage. The foundation also has different programs. One of the programs is Grammy Camp. Grammy Camp is a five day non residential summer music camp for high school students looking to have a career in music. Grammy Camp takes place in two different places. Los Angeles and Nashville. Students get into Grammy Camp by applying one of the eight career tracks. Grammy Camp faculty of music professionals as well as guest industry professionals provide valuable insight to give the campers the best chance at achieving success in their chosen career.

All in all the Grammy’s are not just exciting music awards that you see on TV. They are music awards that provide entertainment, enhance the understanding of music, and provide futures for high school kids. When I first started writing this article I thought that they were just awards. But I soon releazied it was so much more. I hope you will see that too.