Welcome Letter from Mr. Coleman

Hello parents, students, and other community members,

This is Jason Coleman. Many of you may know me as a 6th grade English and social studies teacher here at Hermosa Valley School. As some of you may know, our school administrators made a decision this past summer to have a student-led online newspaper. I was asked to put together both a class and an actual paper together that could be enjoyed by all.

When putting together this paper, we decided that our mission statement would be that the media outlet would be completely focused around the interests of the students.In the class, students learn different ways of writing appealing and thoughtful articles that can be enjoyed by anyone. And I am happy to report that every article, link to video, calendar, etc, was 100% put together, edited, and published by the students in my Digital Press class. So everything you see, from articles about new planets to creative ways to make holiday gifts, are topics that the students were interested in writing.

The paper is still new, and many changes will be made going forward; however, with that being said, I want to say that I am very proud with what my class was able to put together–all in less than 12 weeks!

I do hope that you will come and visit often. It is my goal to keep the paper updated regularly. We are always open to suggestions and other comments. But again, we are very proud of what we were able to come up with, and let me thank everyone who supported this project.

And without further ado, I give you Hermosa Valley’s very first student-run newspaper: The Daily Dolphin.